8 Tips for getting bikini ready in 24 hours
A couple of years ago a couple we knew invited us to their beach house. It was Wednesday afternoon. I was sitting in my office plowing through emails when my husband texted me to ask if I wanted to go. They were leaving Friday – just 2 days away!
I didn’t want to go. I had been avoiding all clothing that revealed my arms and legs because I just didn’t feel comfortable with my body. I was ashamed of how out of shape I had gotten. We ended up going I didn’t wear a bikini or any swim suit but I did wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I managed to have fun, but wished there were more I could have done to feel better on such short notice.
I didn’t know it at the time, but now having been in the fitness and nutrition industry for a few years, there are some hacks that can make you look 5 pounds lighter basically overnight so you can feel like the beautiful woman you are on the beach. Here are some tips that have worked for me.
1. Cut your sodium. Cut your sodium intake at least 24 hours (if not longer) before you hit the beach. My weight can be as much as 5 pounds higher the morning after enjoying sushi and soy sauce or any other high sodium meal. If at all possible prepare your food yourself so that you can control your salt intake.
2. Reduce your starchy carbohydrates. Cut out food such as breads, packaged cookies, cereals, and crackers for 24 hours before. Sometimes even rice can cause stomach irritation which leads to bloating.
3. Avoid foods you know make you bloat. For me as much as I love it, broccoli makes me bloat. Rather go for foods like cucumber and asparagus as they also help alleviate water retention.
4. Avoid Alcohol. Alcohol leads to bloating, puffiness, and water retention which = additional weight.
5. But do drink lots of water. Aim for a gallon before your beach day; it will keep you hydrated. Most of us live in a dehydrated state. Drinking plenty of water keeps you hydrated and helps battle water retention as your body doesn’t feel the need to hold on to it. Added bonus - hydrating yourself also diminishes the appearance of wrinkles.
6. Workout. Hit the weight room if you can. There really is such thing as a “pump” which will make you look more defined. And/or go for a run. Cardio is another great way to work off water retention
7. Get a spray tan. There is a reason figure and bikini competitors get very dark spray tans. Tans help highlight muscle definition and the illusion of being lighter weight. They also help hide cellulite.
8. Stand up straight or if posing for a picture put both hands on your waist – it makes your waist look smaller.
These work for me. I’m 51 and don’t have the bikini body of a 25 year old, but I feel confident when I wear one and more importantly enjoy my time on the beach.
I’d love to hear if you have any other tips that have worked for you and enjoy the beach this summer